What is contraception?
Contraception is using methods and techniques to prevent pregnancy from occurring after sex. We offer a full range of contraceptive services for women of any reproductive age.
Dr Hong will discuss your individual lifestyle and preferences, and will work with you to determine the most suitable form of birth control for you and your needs.
There are many options available, and your choice will depend on your individual circumstances and any associated health concerns that require specialty care. The right choice for you may also depend on whether you hope to become pregnant in the future and Dr Hong will discuss this with you.
Some of the most common forms of birth control include:
- Contraceptive pill – “combined” as well as the “mini pill”
- Depo Provera injection – progesterone hormone injection every 3 months
- Implanon – an implantable contraceptive device, about the size of a match, inserted into your arm under a local anaesthetic
- Mirena – this small IUD (intrauterine device) is inserted into your uterine cavity (uterus)
- Tubal ligation – where you fallopian tubes are ‘tied’ (clamped and blocked) or removed to prevent pregnancy
Dr Hong is able to provide all these treatment options for you, as well as monitor for any side effects.